Friday, June 4, 2010

Of Causes and Facts

There has been a settlement in this case, and I will post about it soon.

As we saw this week in the news, as long as there is a "Cause", facts be damned.

It's also quite interesting to find out what people are saying behind your back.

I was approached a short time back at the local library by a gentlemen who recognized me and asked me my name. After telling him, he replied "I can't believe you are still living here".

Being somewhat naive, I asked him what he meant. He said "after all that, I can't believe you live here".

I thought that comment required a bit more examination so I asked him what was meant. "Well after all that you've done...". I asked what his involvement was. Turns out he was asked to help religious-ex by some folks who "knew" the situation. He said he was willing to help because she was, and I quote, "a Cause and of course you know everyone loves a Cause".

As the conversation continued and he was supplied with some basic facts, we agreed that religious-ex had somewhat mishandled this case and likely should have taken at least one of the offers that had been made to her all those years ago.

Instead of leaving it to your imagination, I've decided to post (redacted of course to remove names), one of the many offers that was made to her over the years.

I'd ask that you note the date of the letter and the request for my clothing and other personal effects. This was a full 16 months after I was ejected from my home, 10 months after the Get. It only took another 6 months for her to turn it over to me.

There is one 6 figure sum mentioned in there. At one point, the marital estate was worth a lot Lot LOT more than that, of which she would have gotten half of. This is in addition to maintenance and child support, which, without tuition, would have been over half my take home pay.

A very very large percentage of that is now gone, paid to lawyers. You will also notice the mention of restricted stock options in there. That is also gone, forever, due to her taking a court order prohibiting me from liquidating assets so I could not sell it as the market crashed around us. We are not discussing the 35% decline in the value of the house.

Over the years, I wondered what I could have possibly offered to make this go away. I now realize that the many people who told me that "everyone loves a cause" were right.

Shame on all of you who took advantage of this situation to further your own personal agendas and make yourselves feel good. Double shame on those of you who profited from this terrible situation and pick Religious-ex's pockets clean.

And Triple shame for talking behind my back without bothering to get the facts. Y'all know who you are. All of you have my phone number. Call me. I've got a bunch of file boxes that I am happy to share.

Redacted Offer

No comments: